by Buzz Rock Girl Jami l Wednesday, April 10th, 2013
Here's a few tips to keep in mind the next time you're at the bar...
1) Get served more quickly in a crowded bar by flashing your cash, maybe. That's showing them that you're ready to order, but do this without trying to get their attention. They know you're there, so don't act like an impatient idiot... Relax.
2) If you're buying just 1 drink - pay with cash. Bars lose on credit card fees just for convenience - so be a good patron and pay in cash.
3) Here's how much to REALLY tip... at LEAST 20% (on base & tax). Remember - your Bartender is only making around $5 per hour base pay AND will be cleaning the pee off the toilet after you head out and they close the bar down. Be respectful.
4)This is huge - keep in mind - it IS possible to score free drinks. Just don't be a d-bag about it. (And by "D" - I mean the short name for Richard). The best way to accomplish this is - be patient, kind & understanding. They appreciate all these qualities. Also - being a regular does help! Let them get to know you and vice versa.
5) Don't be THAT GUY! Don't be annoying. Don't call your Bartender "bro" or any other word that makes your skin crawl. You'll be their story for the other servers at the end of the night and I promise - it won't be a good one.
6) You've heard the saying - "Do what you love. Love what you do." So, buy your Bartender a shot. They'll appreciate it. They've been dealing with your ass all night and nothing shows you appreciate their attentiveness more by sharing a shot.
So - in short... Be kind to animals, the elderly and bartenders.