By Hayley St. John | Friday, February 7, 2014
You really didn't think Will Ferrell could get away with mentioning Chad Smith during his "Ask Me anything" session without some action, did ya? Ohh yes, it's on!!
Music News provided by Pulse
For years now, people have pointed out that Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith and actor Will Ferrell look alike, but according to Diffuser, the two men have taken their resemblance to a whole new level. In a recent Reddit "Ask Me Anything" session, Ferrell said that he was well aware of the resemblance -- and admitted something else.
Ferrell revealed, "It has been acknowledged many times that myself and Chad Smith, drummer for the Red Hot Chili Peppers, share a resemblance to each other. A lot of people think that it’s me playing for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. But that would be an insult to Chad Smith. The truth of the matter is there is no Will Ferrell. Only Chad Smith."
- Ferrell re-confirmed the "truth" in a brief Instagram video, but the "real" Chad Smith wasn't buying it. He posted his own clip on Instagram in which he challenged Ferrell to a drum battle.
- Smith warned, "Stop impersonating me. Drum battle, me and you. I’ve seen your skills, you don’t got ‘em. Let’s go. Golden cowbell -- winner."
- Smith told Rolling Stone a while back that people have stopped him on the street because they believe he is Ferrell. He explained, "A lot of the time it's easier to just agree with them and take the picture and they go away."
- Smith also recalled the first time he met Ferrell, at a premiere, where the actor himself remarked on the resemblance. Smith recalled, "Will turns around. He looks me up and down and says, 'You're very handsome,' and walks away. Totally deadpan. I was like, 'You're funny. You're funny.'"
- The Chili Peppers just played at the Super Bowl last weekend and are about to start work on their next album.
- Will Ferrell -- or it Chad Smith? -- has a starring role in The Lego Movie, which opens Friday (February 7th) in theaters.