by Chris Atticus l Friday, December 20, 2013
Music News provided by Pulse
Nirvana members Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic issued comments on the band's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which was announced on Tuesday (December 17th). Grohl said, "For once . . . I'm speechless. From the basements, to the dingy clubs, to the broken down vans, to . . . the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. I'd like to thank the committee not only for this induction, but also for recognizing Nirvana for what we were: pure rock and roll. Most of all, thank you to all of the fans that have supported rock and roll throughout the years, and to Kurt and Krist, without whom I would not be here today."
Novoselic added, "This is a great honor. Thank you to the people who nominated and voted for us. Thank you most of all to Kurt Cobain. And to everyone who's kept rock music going strong for 60 years and counting."
- Grohl told us a while back that Nirvana liked to rock as hard as any other band: "There was a lot of that crazy, heavy element in Nirvana. You know, the one thing that Nirvana was against was just the bulls**t."
- Kurt Cobain's widow, Courtney Love, and daughter, Frances Bean Cobain, had not at press time issued any statements on Nirvana's induction.
- The other five performing artists to be inducted with the class of 2014 are Kiss, Peter Gabriel, Hall & Oates, Linda Ronstadt and Cat Stevens.
- Ahmet Ertegun Awards will go to late Beatles manager Brian Epstein and original Rolling Stones manager/producer Andrew Loog Oldham. The Award for Musical Excellence — formally known as the Side-Men category — will be presented to the E Street Band.
- The 29th annual Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony will take place on Thursday, April 10th, 2014 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. The 2014 ceremony will again be open to the public, as it has been for the induction ceremonies in Cleveland in 2009 and 2012, and Los Angeles in 2013. This will be the first time that the ceremony will be open to the public in New York City.