By Hayley St. John | Tuesday, January 28, 2014
Music News provided by Pulse
Shinedown frontman Brent Smith and guitarist Zach Myers release a new digital EP called (Acoustic Sessions) on Tuesday (January 28th) under the name Smith & Myers. The disc consists of six cover songs and Smith explained how they settled on the tracks: "We wanted to give the fans the opportunity to -- any song that they could think of, that they wanted to hear me and Zach cover, just let us have it. So we put it up on Facebook that it was called '10 songs in 10 days,' and so we said, 'Submit any song.' So after we did that, we had the 10 songs, and then we went in and we recorded all 10 of them and filmed it as well. We did it over the course of two days."
- Although the duo recorded and filmed six performances, four -- of songs by Bon Jovi, Pearl Jam, Phil Collins andAdele -- did not make the final collection as the artists did not give permission to release the videos online.
- The songs themselves will likely be re-recorded and released later this year.
- The final selection was chosen from thousands of submissions by fans and narrowed down through daily voting on Facebook.
- The EP will be released through iTunes and all leading digital retailers. It includes covers of the Clash's "London Calling," Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters," Otis Redding's "Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay," the Black Crowes' "She Talks to Angels," Soul Asylum's "Runaway Train" and Kenny Wayne Shepherd's "Blue on Black" featuring Shepherd himself.
- Shinedown is also getting ready to enter the studio and begin recording its fifth album, the follow-up to 2012's Amaryllis.