by Zigz l Tuesday, November 19, 2013
Photo: Soundgarden Facebook
Music News provided by Pulse
Soundgarden drummer Matt Cameron has announced that he will sit out the band's 2014 tour dates due to his live commitments with his other group, Pearl Jam. In a statement posted at Soundgarden's website on Friday (November 15th), Cameron wrote, "I will be taking 2014 off from Soundgarden touring due to prior commitments promoting Lightning Bolt with my brothers in Pearl Jam and the desire to have more time at home with my family. I am trying to balance the many twists and turns of my awesome music career. This is temporary."
Cameron added, "I am still an active member of Soundgarden. Chris, Ben, Kim and I are in the process of finding the perfect substitute for the upcoming Soundgarden dates in 2014."
- Ironically, Cameron told us not long ago that playing for both Soundgarden and Pearl Jam was not the most demanding thing he'd ever done: "You know what? I've actually been a lot busier in my life. When I was in my 20s, I used to play in a bunch of different bands at once and it's just part of the job of being a drummer -- sometimes you've got to do a little juggling. But I'm certainly happy to do it."
- Cameron has been a member of Pearl Jam since 1998, the year after Soundgarden disbanded.
- Soundgarden reunited in 2010, releasing its first album in 16 years, King Animal, in November 2012.
- Pearl Jam issued its 10th studio album, Lightning Bolt, last month and is currently on a North American tour that next stops in Glendale, Arizona on Tuesday (November 19th).
- Soundgarden's only confirmed tour dates so far for 2014 are three Lollapalooza festivals in South America and three German gigs opening for Black Sabbath.